Monday, January 3, 2011

Winter: Is It Too COLD For Open Toe Shoes?


So someone asked me recently if it’s too cold for open toe shoes, and for the first time ever I was a bit biased. I mean, I’ve never really given it too much thought, though except for putting together an outfit to go out in during the winter season, but generally I grab a shoe that is “appropriate” for the season and temperature. But this question really caused me to think. Should I not wear that sexy peep toe or that divalicious strappy open heel because it’s cold? And my answer is…. Drumroll…. More drumming… Lol…….. Depnds! lol, but it really does. I think when it comes to something so broad such as the "cold” this can be misinterpreted and someone could think I mean snow, sleet and hail lol, and I assure you I do not.
So, it’s cold, you’re heading out and looking fierce, dress is fitting right, blouse is showing cleavage, leggings are on point and now you go to grab your heels and realize its cold out. I agree that there are some temperatures where it just isn’t a good look for you to be in a strappy open shoe. But for the most part if it’s a cute peep toe but most of your foot & toes are covered then I say go for it. However there are other variables to take into consideration as well, such as your form of transportation for the evening.
Now, if you’re heading out and will be in a vehicle all night, meaning someone is driving or you will be using a cab service then I say as long as the temperature isn’t freezing, go for it! But if you are on the trains or buses (I would hope you can avoid the bus, but it happens lol) then I am quite opposed to open strappy sandals in the winter. Public transportation means that you will be waiting much longer, on your feet and in the cold.

Now if you’re having a hard time trying to figure out what temp is not the right temp to try to be cute, let me help. If you have on a fur, then there is a good chance that you should not have on a strappy exposed shoe!! Simple! But if the season is transitioning from Fall into Winter then a strappy shoe could still work depending on your outfit. For transitioning weather I think that a strappy shoe where a lot of your foot is exposed is much more doable if say, you're wearing jeans as opposed to a short dress. The Jeans at least cover your legs and have the potential, depending on the style of the jean, to provide some coverage to your feet as well, taking the temperature into consideration.
Now, I'm not sure, but do I really need to address weather conditions such as snow, hail, sleet? Lol, Just in case, in my opinion, it is not wise, nor is it recommended that you wear strappy, open toe or peep toe shoes during those weather conditions. But if you’re dead set on wearing them and there is no other shoe that compliments, then travel in a boot and change in the car before going inside (Some change in the club or at the event they’re attending, to each their own). If it's a must, for safety in wearing heels during bad weather conditions, I recommend paying close attention and walking carefully if you must wear heels. Often the ground is wet and turns into black ice which isn’t seen and you can take a dangerous slip, so be careful during the winter, look fabulous and have fun.
(Shoe shown above is Kate Spade)
*Shoe Kisses,
Sy

No comments:

Post a Comment